Headache Clinic at Parkside Hospital
As you will probably be aware, headache is the commonest neurological disorder by far. It affects everyone at least occasionally. It represents an enormous socioeconomic burden. Migraine on its own affects 15% of the UK adult population. Up to 100,000 people are absent from work or school because of migraine on any one day in the UK. This represents an enormous cost burden to employers and there is evidence that headache disorders are under diagnosed and under treated.
What the service offers
The Headache Clinic at Parkside Hospital provides a clear treatment pathway for the major diagnostic categories of chronic headache disorders such as migraine, tension type headaches and medication overuse headaches.
What happens at the headache clinic?
Where possible, a questionnaire and diary will be completed before the initial consultation. An initial consultation will last half an hour after which, the following investigations (as appropriate) may be requested.
- MRI scan of the brain and/or spine or CT scan of the brain
- Standard screening blood tests to help exclude secondary headache. These would include FBC, U+E, LFT, CRP, ESR, ANA, ENA, Haematinics, (urine or serum HCG if chance of pregnancy), TFT’s, vitamin D.
Patients will be asked to complete a headache diary and attend follow up consultations after 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months to assess response to therapy.
The following procedures or treatments may be undertaken when appropriate:
- Botulinum toxin for chronic migraine
- Greater occipital nerve block for cluster headache and chronic migraine
- Referral to a Physiotherapist
- Referral to a specific pain specialist for procedures such as nerve blocks
- Lumbar puncture
- Neuro-ophthalmological review
All of these services are available at Parkside Hospital.
How to refer your patients
The headache clinic runs on a Monday evening from 5.30pm to 8.00pm at Parkside Hospital. Please call 020 8971 8026 to make an appointment, or complete a referral form and fax to 020 8971 8002.
Please click here for a referral form.