Mr Giles Heilpern
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Main NHS base:
Kingston Hospital NHS Trust
Mr Heilpern is a highly experienced specialist knee and shoulder surgeon.
- Performs all aspects of knee surgery including ligament reconstruction
- All aspects of shoulder surgery except shoulder replacement.
- Meniscal surgery
- Realignment osteotomy and robotic partial and total knee replacement
- Sports injuries in elite and recreational athletes with a particular emphasis on return to play whilst avoiding surgery wherever possible.
- Expertise treating all ski injuries whether minor or complex with a view to returning patients to the piste.
- Mako Robot-Arm Assisted Knee Surgery
Mr Heilpern regularly teaches other surgeons techniques of ligament reconstruction, meniscal repair and knee replacement and has only recently stepped down as Director of Surgery at the South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre – the largest joint replacement unit in Europe. Mr Heilpern prides himself on delivering world class care and will offer bespoke advice and treatment. He uses a large network of handpicked physiotherapists and sports physicians to facilitate a rapid recovery and a timely return to play.
Training & background:
Giles Heilpern studied medicine at Pembroke College, Cambridge and Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospitals qualifying in 1999. He completed a three year basic surgical rotation at Guy’s, Kingston and Atkinson Morley’s Hospitals. In 2004 he joined the South East Thames orthopaedic training programme. In 2009 he completed two subspecialist fellowships in Australia – a knee fellowship at the North Sydney Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Centre and a shoulder fellowship at the Perth Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Centre. He started at Kingston Hospital as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon in October 2010 with a special interest in knee and shoulder surgery. His knee surgery practice covers all aspects of knee surgery including arthroscopy, ligament reconstruction, partial and total knee arthroplasty and osteotomy. His shoulder surgery practice covers all aspects of shoulder surgery including arthroscopic decompression, arthroscopic stabilisation, rotator cuff repair. Mr Heilpern will see patients at short notice on an ad hoc basis. He will try and see any urgent referral within 24 hours.
Please note these are regular clinics, other times may be available by appointment
A: Alternate weeks M: Monthly sessions A/H: Ad Hoc